In this section
By nature, influenza type diseases will contain different viruses and will therefore have different impacts. Based on previous experiences of pandemics, it is likely that a pandemic will happen in one or more waves, possibly weeks or months apart and up-to half the population can be affected if not the entire population.
An Influenza type disease can bring various different risks to Northamptonshire which include:
- reduced workforce across the county
- panic buying. Potential disruption to essential
- health of population if the Virus cannot be controlled
- potential expansion of burial services
How we prepare as a county
- managing, and creating plans for the potential pressure placed on NHS and social care systems
- planning for the distribution and administration of anti-viral medication as well as vaccinations
- inform the public of Northamptonshire and engage with the media.
How you can prepare?
- ensure you can receive the flu jab
- keep a basic stock of cold and flu medications and vitamins in your home
- ensure you educate yourself with the latest NHS guidance and advice
- identify friends and family who can help you in case you get ill, or who you can help in case they get ill