Floods can happen quickly, so don't wait until it's too late to think about preparation.
Here are some things you can do to prepare before it starts raining.
- Check if your property is at risk from flooding
- Sign up for flood warnings if you live in a risk area
- Check your insurance coverage
- Find out what you can do to protect your home
- Consider flood protection equipment for your home
- Know how to turn off your utilities in your home
- Contact your Parish Council to find out if your community has a flood group
Floods can be caused by heavy rainfall so you can be vulnerable even if you don’t live by a river or waterway.
While it's impossible to completely flood-proof a property, there are lots of things you can do to reduce the damage flooding can cause. The Government's website has a useful guide to preparing your home for flooding.